1 minute reading time (281 words)

Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips for Your Home

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be produced by car exhaust, appliances such as washer/dryers, gas ranges, and heaters. If it is produced without adequate ventilation and people inhale it, it can be fatal. Because it isn't detectable through sight or smell, people can fall asleep and be poisoned by carbon monoxide as they sleep.

Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips for Your Home

Follow these carbon monoxide safety tips:

  1. Install carbon monoxide monitors and have them serviced and maintained regularly. Monitors will make a sound if they detect carbon monoxide in the air. Never, never, never ignore this sound. Open doors and windows first to let in fresh air so you it can be cleared out. Then call 9-1-1. Then leave the premises. Do not remain inside while carbon monoxide is present. Many experts suggest having more than one, depending on the size of your house. Near bedrooms, heaters and in garages are all good ideas.
  2. Be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. They mimic those of flu. Feeling dizzy, nauseous, confused or having a headache can all be signs.
  3. Have household appliances serviced regularly, especially those that can cause carbon monoxide leakage. Furnaces, appliances and so on all need regular maintenance. They need to be replaced when they can no longer be maintained properly.
  4. Follow carbon monoxide safety procedures. Don't create areas where carbon monoxide is or might be circulated. Don't work in the garage on your car or motorcycle when the engine is running, for example, even if the door is open. Don't try to heat your home with a gas range.

Contact us for more information on carbon monoxide safety tips or general home safety tips to keep your family protected.

Project your Church from Thunderstorm Damage
Signs of Employee Fraud or Theft in Your Organizat...